692 squadron was formed on 1 January 1944 at RAF Graveley, Huntingdonshire as a light bomber unit, equipped with Mosquito Mk.IV bombers, as part of the Light Night Striking Force of No. 8 Group RAF in Bomber Command. It re-equipped with Mosquito Mk.XVI bombers from March 1944 and by June 1944 the squadron had completely switched over to the newer variant. It was the first squadron to carry 4,000 lb bombs in Mosquitos, used in an attack on Düsseldorf. The squadron was also the first Mosquito unit to carry out minelaying operations. Most operations were at low level, including one mission when the squadron dropped 4,000 lb bombs into the mouth of tunnels in the Ardennes. At the end of the war the squadron was disbanded on 20 September 1945 at RAF Gransden Lodge, Cambridgeshire. The squadron had carried out 3,237 operational sorties (though one source claims a far lower number of sorties, 1,457 for the loss of 17 aircraft.
Officers commanding no. 692 Squadron RAF
January 1944 March 1944 W/Cdr. W.G. Lockhart, DSO, DFC
March 1944 July 1944 W/Cdr. S.D. Watts, DFC (RNZAF)
July 1944 September 1945 W/Cdr. J. Northrop, DFC, AFC
Stations and airfields used by no. 692 Squadron RAF
1 January 1944 4 June 1944 RAF Graveley, Huntingdonshire Formed here
4 June 1944 20 September 1945 RAF Gransden Lodge, Cambridgeshire Disbanded here