RAF Graveley

 

RAF Graveley Cambridgeshire (Huntingdonshire)
Group     8
Opened    1942
Accommodation
Male        2300
Female    299
Losses     83 Halifaxes
  35 Mosquitoes
32 Lancasters

Briefly used by Wellingtons and Lysanders of 161 squadron in early 1942, the station was allocated to Pathfinders in August of that year, with 35 squadron flying Halifaxes, and later,  Lancasters on target marking duties, joined by 392 squadron Mosquitoes in 1944. A total of 150 aircraft were lost in 3 years of station operation. After VE day the station was used to prepare a section of Tiger force, the Bomber Command mission to the Pacific theatre, but the surrender of the Japan meant the force never had to leave. The site is now used as farmland, with the perimeter roads all that remains of the station